Small whole fish like char, trout, walleye and bass are great to use on cedar planks due to their size, flavor and texture. They’re also easily found in lakes across the country. If you’re a fisherman looking for a new way to grill your catch of the day, this Epicurious recipe is a delicious choice.
What else can you cook on a cedar plank?
When it comes to cedar plank grilling, fish is the most common pairing, however, you can grill nearly any protein or veggie with a plank. Try grilling steaks, chicken, pork, tofu or a handful of vegetables. Be sure to keep different meats on separate planks.
How do you grill fish on a cedar plank?
How to Perfectly Grill Fish on a Cedar Plank
- Cook only the freshest fish. With salmon, make sure it’s wild, not farm-raised. …
- Use an untreated, cooking-specific cedar plank. The wood should be about 12 by 6 inches. …
- Cook over direct medium heat. …
- Brush the salmon with extra-virgin olive oil. …
- Place the wet plank over the fire and close the lid. …
- Remove the fish carefully.
Do you flip fish on cedar plank?
There is no need to flip the fish. Plank cooking is indirect because the food is insulated from the direct heat. You do want the board exposed to the direct heat of your grill so that it can smolder.
Can you bake with a cedar plank?
1. Baking on a cedar plank imparts a subtle wood flavor to meat, fish, shellfish, poultry, and vegetables, adding warmth and complexity to any dish. 2. The baking planks are designed for baking in the oven and they last for years (even if they crack, you can place them on a baking sheet to catch any juices).
Is it safe to cook over cedar wood?
Cedar wood is not a hardwood. It is a softwood that is from the gymnosperm trees meaning, it is a conifer or cone producing tree. As a rule, softwoods should not be used for cooking as they contain a lot of air and sap which equates to a fast burn and unpleasant flavors.
How many times can you use cedar planks?
The answer is yes you can reuse cedar planks after grilling. In fact, the second or third use can even give you a slightly stronger flavor. Be sure to scrub the top of the cedar plank clean and soak it before each use.
How long do you grill fish on a cedar plank?
Place the cedar plank in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook until cooked through, around 20 to 30 minutes. The internal temperature should read 135 degrees F. Transfer the salmon and plank to a platter and serve right off the plank.
Is cedar plank grilling healthy?
Why Cedar Plank Grilling Is Healthier
Charring foods over high and direct heat produces carcinogenic chemicals. … But sliding ingredients on top of a cedar plank is even more effective, because it creates a barrier that prevents scorching and allows food to cook over more moderate and indirect heat.
Do you have to soak cedar planks?
Yes, you have to soak Cedar planks before cooking with them. Soaking for 15 minutes in warm water is the optimal soaking time. The flavor infusion is most apparent after 15 minutes and does not increase with longer soaking times.
How many times can you use a cedar plank for salmon?
Technically, a grilling plank can be used multiple times but you’ll only get the fresh wood flavor on the first use, so we don’t recommend it as it defeats the whole purpose of cooking with planks. Also, if you are able to use a grilling plank more than once, you are doing it wrong.
Can you use cedar planks on a gas grill?
Can planks be used on a gas grill? The answer: yes! … The direct flames cause the plank to smolder, creating lots of delicious smoke. Tip: Make sure to keep the grill lid closed as much as possible to keep the smoke inside.
What does a cedar plank do for salmon?
As the fish cooks and the plank heats up, this moisture rises out of the plank and pulls the characteristic flavors of Cedar with it. This essentially infuses the salmon with a fresh wood flavor and allows the fish to gently steam as the plank acts as a barrier between it and the heat source.
How do you prepare a plank?
Lightly toasting the plank on both sides will intensify its smoky flavor and prevent warping. Season a plank being used for the first time by placing it on a preheated grill for 2 minutes, turning once to toast both sides. When the plank starts crackling, it’s ready for cooking. Oil the cooking side to avoid sticking.
How do you cook frozen Cedar plank salmon?
- Soak plank in enough water to cover for at least 1 hour before using. Thaw fish, if frozen. …
- Place fish fillet, skin side down, on the soaked plank. Sprinkle with chives, thyme, salt and pepper. …
- Using a charcoal grill, place salmon on the cedar plank on the grill rack directly over medium coals.