Homemade pies are a delicious dessert that can be prepared ahead of time, frozen and then baked when you want a very special dessert. It is much better to freeze pumpkin and fruit pies before baking rather than after. The texture of pies suffers substantially if frozen after baking.
What is the best way to freeze a pie?
For best results, first bake the pie and then place it uncovered in the freezer. When completely frozen, wrap the pie tightly or place in a plastic freezer bag and place back in the freezer. Frozen, baked fruit pies will keep up to 4 months.
Is it better to freeze a meat pie before or after baking?
Remember to wrap the pie or crust well in plastic wrap and/or foil before freezing, and expect to bake a whole pie for 20-45 minutes more than the recipe specifies, depending on the temperature of your freezer and the amount of filling.
How do you freeze pies to bake later?
How to Freeze a Baked Pie
- Bake as directed and allow to cool completely.
- Place the pie in a freezer bag; seal, label, and freeze for up to 4 months.
- To serve, thaw at room temperature.
- If you wish to serve your pie warm, after thawing, bake in a preheated oven 425°F oven about 15 minutes or until warmed through.
Why do you freeze a pie before baking?
As soon as it’s out of the oven, the pie crust begins to absorb moisture. And freezing a pie tacks on a lot more time for moisture to be absorbed. First the pie must be cooled, then it takes hours to freeze, then more hours to thaw. For most of that time, moisture is migrating into the crust.
How do you make frozen pies taste better?
Graham crackers, animal crackers and little wafer cookies all work well. Throw a few handfuls of cookies and some granulated sugar into a food processor (about 3 parts cookies to 1 part sugar), and grind until fine.
How do you store a frozen meat pie?
Yes, to freeze: wrap meat pie tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in heavy-duty freezer bag. How long does meat pie last in the freezer? Properly stored, it will maintain best quality for about 1 to 2 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
How do you reheat a frozen meat pie?
To reheat a frozen baked pie, thaw the pie in the refrigerator overnight and reheat (bake) in a 350°F oven till heated through. The crust will need to be shielded to prevent over-browning.
How do you store pies after baking?
After baking, pie should be left at room temperature as the cooling process normally takes 2-4 hours. Within 4 hours, the pie should then be placed in the refrigerator. Cover loosely with plastic wrap until serving. Pie may be refrigerated for 2-3 days.
What is the best way to freeze an apple pie?
- Write today’s date, Baked or Unbaked Apple Pie and Use by date 6 months from now on a freezer quality storage bag.
- Place the pie into the bag, close the seal.
- Place the pie into the freezer on a flat surface, sitting level.
- Freeze for up to six months.
How do you bake a frozen unbaked fruit pie?
Baking an Uncooked Fruit Pie
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Unwrap your frozen fruit pie and cover it with aluminum foil. Place it on a cookie sheet to catch spillage. …
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes. …
- Uncover the pie and bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until the crust turns golden and the filling begins to bubble.
What pies do not need to be refrigerated?
Pies made with eggs, cream, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, including evaporated or condensed milk need special care. Pumpkin, cream, chiffon, or custard-based pies should not be out of the refrigerator for more than two hours.
Can you freeze pumpkin pie before baking?
Good news: You can freeze pumpkin pies. Because of their rich custard fillings (read: high fat content), pumpkin pies, as well as other custard filling-based pies such as sweet potato, freeze beautifully.